Brent A. Ellwyn
Brent A. Ellwyn
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
Brent Ellwyn is a corporate commercial lawyer with a focus on working with family and closely held businesses. He advises clients on all aspects of their business: from mergers and acquisitions (M&A), succession planning and corporate refinancing, to general corporate work. His energy and innovative approach to achieve process efficiencies create the optimal environment to deliver value to his clients.
With over 20 years focused on M&A, corporate finance, reorganizations and general corporate matters, Brent helps his clients through transactions with a wide range of size and complexity. He also provides services in commercial and residential real estate transactions and financings.
Brent is committed to the business of his clients and helping them achieve their objectives. Despite starting his legal career in securities law, he decided to focus on M&A as it provided greater opportunities to collaborate and work directly with his clients. His responsiveness, client-centric approach and focus on innovative processes serve his clients well in closing their deals.
When not at work, Brent enjoys spending time with his wife, two teenage daughters and two dogs – not necessarily in that order. Together, they like camping locally and traveling internationally, having explored Vietnam, Thailand, Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Brent has also combined his love of road biking and travel by cycling through Tuscany in 2018.
Always one to admit his shortcomings, Brent will readily acknowledge his love-hate relationship with his boat (which has not been in the water for over two years), and his perpetually unsuccessful pursuit of an improved handicap on the golf course.
Some of the experience represented below may have been handled at a previous firm.
- Buyer counsel on $18 million share purchase of a manufacturing business.
- Seller counsel on $12 million asset sale of a health care service provider.
- Seller counsel on cross-border $4.5 million asset sale of a manufacturing repair business.
- Seller counsel on cross-border $34 million asset sale of an industrial manufacturing business.
- Seller counsel on cross-border $13.5 million asset sale of a plastics manufacturer.
- Lead counsel on $6.5 million merger of sporting goods businesses.
- Seller counsel on $2.5 million share sale of a professional practice.
- Buyer counsel on $5.5 million purchase of a sporting goods business.
- Seller counsel on $3 million sale of assets of an information technology company.
Areas of Practice
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate Commercial
- Family Business Advising
- Commercial & Residential Financing
- Real Estate Conveyancing
- British Columbia, 1998
In-Depth Income Tax Course – Part I & II, 2008-2009
Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (now CPA Canada)
The University of British Columbia
B.A. Communications & History, 1994
Simon Fraser University
Professional Associations, Memberships and Organizations
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Peace Arch Hospital Foundation, Director-at-Large, 2012 – Present